Pages

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

HKUST International Summer Program 2012: [1st Day]

Sunday, 24 June 2012

Taking photo in Hong Kong iconic mini bus. =D
[ Special thanks to Kah Wai for the picture :) ]
The first day in Hong Kong itself is a long day.
MAS flight to Hong Kong start at about 00:55 am and reach Hong Kong about 5am in the morning.
While waiting for our luggage.
[ From Kah Wai camera ]
We're taking bus and train all the way to HKUST.
We save up to about HKD150 with public transport in comparison with by taking taxi from the airport.

Look at our tired faces.lol
I barely sleep for an hour on flight.
(Photo taken from photo tagged by Andy at fb)
Airport is at Lantau Island and HKUST is at the New Territories, Clear Water Bay.
The airport is at far-west and the UST is at far-east.
We're actually exploring almost half of Hong kong without even realized it. :D

Then, we reach UST at about 7am and straight away to Hall VII to check in to our room.
Finally reach HKUST~!
[ From Kah Wai camera ]

After that, Andy bring us tour around the university and help us to find our classes.
Since we missed out our orientation day, thank goodness that we have a UST student friend that bring us touring around.
[ From Kah Wai camera ]



The atrium's roof is super high.
There's quite a lot of escalator here in UST.
Apparently there was a student commit suicide here recently due to intense pressure.
Blimey, she's doing dual-degree.

This Big Character Poster Wall you can write whatever you feel that you not satisfied or protesting about.
About university management, etc etc...
In Malaysia, in short: jangan haraplah..
Anyway HKUST, have several nicknames. 
First one that I know is Hong Kong University of Stress and Tension
Another one is Hong Kong University of Suicide and Tragedy.
I gotta admit that they are pretty creative.lol

Suicide is somehow happen frequently here too, according to local students.
I understand why when I start my 1st week here.
Will mention about it in the upcoming post.

Andy bring us tour around UST.
This is the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering floor.

Look at their achievements in Robocon!! Woah..
This year ROBOCON is held in Hong Kong and HKUST won the ROBOCON competition national level.
*Clap clap*
Check out this page: HKUST Achieved Record-breaking Results in the History of Robocon Hong Kong Contest

The department activities photos.



Computer barn is the most important place that we need to know because there is where we can print our notes and assignments.
We use our student card to print and they give us HK$120 for us to print.

Next, we have our lunch at LG2 canteen. Our first meal in HKUST. :)

An egg tart and corn+potato salad+walnut for my first lunch in Hong Kong =D
Next, we head back to our room and have a rest for a while before going out.

Nice weather today~
HKUST bus stand. We're going to Hang Hau where there's interconnected shopping mall.

Inside the mini bus.
It can only occupied with 16 passengers or lesser.
Nobody is allowed to stand in this bus.
It is a really important public transportation for Hong Kong people.

Road in suburb Hong Kong

There's a lot of high rise buildings even in suburb 

Inside the mall

I saw Papa's Beard~ eh no, Papa's Bread.
I really like their cream puff.
We do have Papa Bread in Malaysia, so the taste should be the same.

Andy suggested this place for dinner but the queue is so looong~
Then we decided to eat at MOS burger.

This is a vegetarian burger with rice bun

A set come with fries and drinks.

Hot milk tea~

UPM EE shirt. lol


Kinda blurry but the glass building is pretty impressive.

Walking around road in Hang Hau.
I wanted to buy a cheap slippers since I forgot to bring it from Malaysia.lol

Read "Look right" then look right!

Even in suburb Hong Kong the house here is so~~ expensive!
Imagine the house price in the city :O
There's a lot of bicycle here compare to Malaysia.
In Malaysia, I cycle and there's no rule for the cyclist but here, there's rule!
I mean in terms of parking your bicycle.
I park anywhere in UPM since there's not many places with bicycle parking facilities. lol

There's a machine that you can buy your stamp. Isn't it convenient?
Pos Malaysia need to have this machine.

Actually, the main reason we going out to the mall is for us to get this prepaid SIM card for us to contact each other here.
It turn out to be very important that we need to communicate with each other.
The CSL SIM card is cheap but the minimum top-up is HKD100. >.<


I got to admit that my number is pretty nice though.lol
I'm not using this number anymore since I can't use it in Malaysia.
That's all for the first day!
It is a very long day for me today indeed.
So tomorrow is my first class after I absence for a week due to the final exam in my home country.
I need to do some catch-ups~


My HKUST ISP 2012 experience:
  1. Departure
  2. My Room

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop a comment! =]